Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Faith in Action: Testimonies from the Lulwanda Children’s Home Fellowship Dinner







Recently several members of the extended St. John’s community came together in fellowship and heard the stories of how God is at work at the Lulwanda Children’s Home, an orphanage and school serving AIDS orphans in Uganda. St. John’s supports the Lulwanda ministry, and individual members sponsor Lulwanda orphans and have served at the orphanage on mission trips.



Here’s what spoke to our faith community ...


The joy of the people involved as God has worked in miraculous ways. We just don’t step out in that kind of faith ... Libby


The sense of love and commitment in the room was so overwhelming (in a good way). Seeing Libby and Faith (child Libby sponsors) together was priceless! During the function all I could say was “Thank You God” for bringing such loving and caring folks to my country. Saturday renewed the commitment Michael and I made to the orphans and I felt so blessed to see what my church family is doing in Lulwanda. Thank you so much!!! ... Felicity

It is a rare treasure to see pure joy in someone's face, and I saw it last night at the dinner for the Lulwanda Children's Home. I was touched by the personal stories of the children of Lulwanda, including especially Faith Grace and John. All the children spoke from their hearts in the video, holding nothing back and not fighting their tears. In contrast the pure joy in their singing and dancing was truly an inspiration. I was also extremely surprised and impressed by their exuberant gratefulness to God for all their blessings, even the simplest ones ... Elaine

This is God's work - not ours. But, I am pleased that St. John's is/was able to play a small role. I loved watching Libby and Faith Grace enjoy the moment: pure love! My heart was flooded with joy as I could see that God's "hands and feet" are in action doing His work, regardless of the chaos we see in the world ... John

The testimony of the sponsor couple who began sponsoring a child because their daughter wanted a sister. It started out as a financial commitment. God has grown their hearts over the years to love their sponsor child as one of their biological children. They have made two trips to Uganda to meet her, play with her, and discover that she is praying for their family every night ... Brad

It was so wonderful to see the numbers of people who are responding to such a huge need for these children and becoming the "hands and feet" for God here on earth. And to see what Lulwanda has meant for the two children, Faith and John, who came to the dinner this year from Lulwanda. What a contrast to the condition of the children John and I saw along the road in Uganda when we drove the four hours from the airport in Kampala to the Lulwanda home a few years ago. It is truly inspiring to see what can be done when we listen to God's direction for our lives! ... Phyllis
What spoke to me was the immensity of the need with a mind boggling 2 million orphans in Uganda. Also how well this ministry is providing for over 100 orphans. The children's stories in the videos were moving and the Board was impressive ... Jon

I could not help but think about the children that are still in the streets not only in Uganda, but even here in America, in Haiti and around the world, and I thought of Matthew 9:36-38 .... therefore pray that the Lord of the harvest will send laborers into His harvest.
To meet Faith Grace and John in person was a real treat/joy, and the genuineness and commitment of the people actively involved in the program (the caregivers, the board, the sponsors, the hearts that are transformed and engaged...) only deepens my faith, and encourages me to persevere in seeking first the Kingdom of God...
Leonie

I was moved by the stories of the children.... It hurt me and broke my heart to imagine over 2 million children without parents; without caregivers, without a kiss goodnight, children who don’t get their teeth brushed or a book read to them, children who don’t get a kiss when they are hurt, or to be held when they are sick... I imagined my own children and what they would do without us, the deep loneliness, the fear, the absolute confusion and loss...
I also imagined what it would be like to be a sick mother, to know I was dying, to know that when that day came, my children would have no one and to know there was nothing I could do about it. How does a parent protect their children from their own death? I cannot begin to imagine the agony of leaving my children to fend for themselves...
Tami (Kathie’s daughter-in-law)

I always return from my trips to the Lulwanda Children’s Home in Uganda certain that I have just witnessed God’s kingdom here on earth. My words and photographs are inadequate to convey the depth of my experience.
It was such a blessing to touch the same depth of feeling with my St. John’s friends and my family on Saturday night. The moving videos, the personal testimonies of Faith Grace and John (two 11 year olds from Lulwanda), and the music and dancing were almost as inspiring as being back at Lulwanda
... Kathie

Faith in Action – opening your heart to listen to the needs of the world and then responding ... building an orphanage, sponsoring a child, taking a mission trip, attending a fellowship dinner, responding to God’s call wherever God leads you to serve.











Share/Save/Bookmark