Sunday, January 22, 2012

New Sunday School Class: The Gifts of Imperfection

Starting Sunday, February 26 during the Sunday school hour, a small group will be meeting in the church library to discuss Dr. Brene Brown's book The Gifts of Imperfection.

Dr. Brown is a professor at the UofH Graduate School of Social Work and is a nationally recognized speaker.

From Amazon's website:
In The Gifts of Imperfection, BrenĂ© Brown, a leading expert on shame, authenticity, and belonging, shares ten guideposts on the power of Wholehearted living—a way of engaging with the world from a place of worthiness.

Each day we face a barrage of images and messages from society and the media telling us who, what, and how we should be. We are led to believe that if we could only look perfect and lead perfect lives, we'd no longer feel inadequate. So most of us perform, please, and perfect, all the while thinking, "What if I can't keep all of these balls in the air? Why isn't everyone else working harder and living up to my expectations? What will people think if I fail or give up? When can I stop proving myself?"

In her ten guideposts, Brown engages our minds, hearts, and spirits as she explores how we can cultivate the courage, compassion, and connection to wake up in the morning and think, "No matter what gets done and how much is left undone, I am enough," and to go to bed at night thinking, "Yes, I am sometimes afraid, but I am also brave. And, yes, I am imperfect and vulnerable, but that doesn't change the truth that I am worthy of love and belonging."

Come join us Sunday mornings at 9 am (starting February 26) to discuss the book and how it intersects with our lives of faith.Questions? Contact Suzette Harrel 713-501-4703 or suzharrel@gmail.com.
Share/Save/Bookmark