Monday, October 3, 2011

St. John's Weekly Reminders - October 2

Children’s Choir Rehearsals: Fall Children’s Choir rehearsals will begin today, Sunday, October 2. All children of elementary school age are encouraged to join Kyra Noons and Shirley Boyd in Room 209, 11:45 am – 12:15 pm.

Presbyterian Youth Fellowship, October 2: Attend the youth rally at Pines Presbyterian Church. Please arrive at church by 3:20 pm. We will depart promptly at 3:30 pm and return by 6:30 pm.

Sign Up Today: New usher teams are forming for October, November, December and January. Sign up for the first, second, third or fourth Sunday. Please speak to Connie Brown if you have any questions.

Adopt-a-Family: Help MD Anderson Cancer Center patients have a brighter holiday season. Please give checks made out to MD Anderson Adopt-a-family to Mary Hughes or the office by October 15. Gift cards are given to needy families.

Braes Interfaith Ministries (BIM) Emergency Request: BIM needs diapers (size 3, 4 & 5) and toothpaste for clients. Please place items in the box outside the church office by Sunday, October 16.

Seamen’s Boxes: Items still needed include: bandages, baseball hats, deodorant, key chains, lip balm, mouthwash, sewing kits, small flashlights, toothpaste, and individually wrapped hard candy. Deliver to church office.

Celebrating Stewardship: Looking up to God

Once I was reading the scripture where Jesus was asked whether or not it was right to pay taxes to Caesar. He answered give Caesar what is Caesar's and give God what is God's (Matthew 22:15 - 22).

In that moment I realized that all that I have, everything in my life, is God's - my time, my thoughts, my strength, my career. That was the day I began offering the first hour of each day to God in Bible study, journaling, and prayer. Our relationship, my and God’s, changed that day. God wants all of me, every hour of every day. And, his mercy and grace sustain me all the times I forget. Thank you, God.
── Kathie Hartzog
Share/Save/Bookmark