Monday, December 10, 2007

Jon's Jots for January 2008

Although the weather outside is warm, it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas. Businesses and shopping centers are bustling with songs of sleigh bells ringing and sights of ribbons and bows and electric Christmas trees. Beyond the bustle of the shopping season and our own joyful Christmas Eve service lies the quiet sobriety of New Year's Day. On New Year's day we awaken with a sense of exhausted relief that the holiday season is behind us and we are presented with God's gift to us: A new year spread before us like an empty book waiting to be written.

How will you fill your new year? I challenge you to fill your new year with the things of God. In particular, I challenge you to become acquainted with an ancient spiritual practice that has been reclaimed in recent years. I am speaking about centering prayer. This spiritual practice has transformed my life in wonderful ways over the past several years. It is hard to remember what I was like before I started practicing centering prayer. I am now more peaceful and less angry. I am more joyful and less irritable. I am better able to live in the present moment rather than being stuck in the past or worried about the future. Centering prayer rekindled my spiritual life. Since I have already come to love this congregation, I look forward to sharing this gift with you.

You will find below more about the centering prayer course and some suggested books about centering prayer. Prayerfully consider whether the Spirit may be nudging you toward this spiritual practice. It is not the only way to pray and it is not for everyone but it may be just what you've been looking for to jump start your spiritual life. Thomas Keating says silence is God's first language. Let us explore the beauty and mystery of God's first language in the new year that lies ahead. For as we find God in the silence we also find our true selves.

Peace,
Jon B.
Share/Save/Bookmark